Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My (most recent) favorite find


I've been busy admiring everyone's blogs and enjoying all the vintage loveliness posted here! Heather, thank you so much for organizing this, your hard work is much appreciated.

Like Lorena, I enjoy collecting vintage containers--baskets, bins, cases, boxes, and dishes. I love Pyrex and Corning, and must admit I have a few more bowls than I can use regularly (unless we have a picnic buffet). Pyrex bowls always remind me of my mom baking in the kitchen when I was growing up.

I particularly enjoy finding interesting, special ways to store things around the house. One item I stumbled upon recently at our local thrift store was this lovely little train case. It's an interesting shade of green, almost emerald and not quite olive.

I love everything about this little case--including the brand name, Shortrip. I had never heard of these cases before but after doing some online searches they seem to pop up from time to time, including on Etsy. I like how securely the latch closes and that it has a little handle for carrying it around.


I decided it was perfect to use as a sewing basket. I love to sew simple things for our family and little gifts for friends. I don't really have a space for sewing (we have two young children) so I have to use the dining room table. Right by the table we have a vintage cupboard where I store my sewing machine, and now I also use this little case to pull out (or quickly put away) my scissors, rotary cutter, pins, and needles.

The thrift store owner told me the case was consigned by an 80-year-old woman who she knew would be thrilled to hear that someone else was enjoying it. I went back to the store the other day and started hunting for swap items and couldn't resist mentioning to the owner that I was participating in this swap. She was so curious and interested--she did not seem to understand precisely how blogs work--but she asked me to report back to her how it all turned out.

P.S. You can find me over at Summer Sky: Learning as I go, hanging out with my kiddos.

3 comments:

  1. It's so cute! I love it!

    http://minivanlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute and wonderful. Great find!

    ReplyDelete